Central Goldfields Art Gallery redevelopment
- Project typeRedevelopment
- Project value$1.7 million from the Victorian Government and $273,000 from Council's 2020/21 Budget
- Project scheduleCommencing October 2021 with completion expected by May, 2022
- Completion Date30 April 2022
In March, 2021 the Victorian Government announced an additional $1.2 million in funding for phases 2 and 3 of the Central Goldfields Art Gallery redevelopment project.
This is in addition to the $500,000 in funding announced in 2020 and will see the project delivered in its entirety.
Identified as one of Council's Priority Projects and a transformational project in the Central Goldfields Shire Tourism and Events Strategy, the redevelopment includes:
- Refurbishment and extension, including opening the original fire doors at the front of the Gallery
- Increased exhibition spaces
- Installation of improved environmental and climate controls
- Re-modelling of internal gallery spaces
- Improved storage facilities for the Shire's art collection
- Creation of an open, contemporary reception
- Improved accessibility and visitor services amenities
- External landscaping including the installation of an Indigenous Interpretative Garden
The project will support the Central Goldfields Art Gallery to:
- Increase the range (breadth) of works exhibited, display a growing collection and attract touring exhibitions of significant cultural merit and worth to the community.
- Increase the number of community members engaged in cultural and educational activities.
- Increase opportunities for local people to develop their creative skills and to exhibit work in a state of the art, regionally significant exhibition space.
- Increase capacity for additional visitor numbers through improved amenity and better use of space.
3 Neill Street, Maryborough, 3465 View Map