A planning scheme amendment introduces a change to the Central Goldfields Planning Scheme.
Council can undertake a planning scheme amendment to:
Apply or remove a planning overlay to land
Change or introduce a local policy; and/or
Make minor changes to a zone or overlay through a schedule to the zone or overlay
Only Council or the Minister for Planning can undertake a Planning Scheme Amendment, however other individuals, companies, or authorities can request Council (or the Minister for Planning) undertake a Planning Scheme Amendment on their behalf.
An amendment follows a statutory process which involves a number of steps. In general a planning scheme amendment will take 12-18 months from when Council commences the statutory process, until it comes into effect.
Under the Planning and Environment Act 1987, Council must follow certain procedures to make amendments to the planning scheme. You can find out more about the amendment process at Planning Scheme Amendments and Using Victoria's Planning System.
Council generally initiates the process to amend the planning scheme however this process can also be initiated at the request of a private applicant or land owner. Most privately sponsored amendments relate to an individual parcel of land where the land owner is the main beneficiary.
Council has prepared a FAQ about proponent led amendments HERE(PDF, 700KB).
• Strategic Assessment Guidelines – Practice Note 46
• Strategic Assessment of Amendments Requirements – Ministerial Direction 11
• Amending a planning scheme – State Government Website
During the exhibition of an amendment, affected parties may make a submission.
Council has prepared the Submission on a Planning Scheme Amendment(PDF, 453KB) document for use. We can email or post this out if required.
Council is working with the North Central Catchment Management Authority (NCCMA) to update existing planning controls for land in Central Goldfields Shire that is liable to flooding, to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date and identify the risk of flooding and flood damage to properties.
Since the controls were first introduced into the Central Goldfields Planning Scheme, the NCCMA has undertaken the North Central Regional Floodplain Management Strategy 2018-2028. After the floods of 2011-2012, flood studies were conducted in Carisbrook(PDF, 20MB) and Dunolly(PDF, 24MB) in 2013 and 2014. These studies model the impact of flooding in both townships. Both the Strategy and flood studies recommend that the planning scheme be updated to reflect the extent of flooding in the updated mapping.
The proposed changes to the flood controls in Carisbrook and Dunolly are shown in the maps below. More specific information is available by accessing POZI and searching for your own property. Use the menu icon to open the layers section, then go into Planning and select the box for Planning Scheme Amendment C031. This will show the areas where the overlay is proposed to removed or added.
The C031cgol Amendment
The full amendment documents are available online at DELWP.
- Part A Submission(PDF, 1MB)
- Officer Report to Council Seeking Authorisation(PDF, 4MB)
- DELWP Letter providing authorisation(PDF, 807KB)
- Officer Report to Council Seeking Minister for Planning to Appoint Planning Panels Victoria including Submission Table as Appendix(PDF, 1MB)
- PPV Letter of Instrument(PDF, 114KB)
- Exhibited Explanatory Report C031cgol(PDF, 713KB)
- Exhibited Instruction Sheet C031cgol(PDF, 78KB)
- Supporting Document - Carisbrook Bushfire Report Response to Clause 13.02(PDF, 7MB)
- Supporting Document - Dunolly Bushfire Report Response to Clause 13.02(PDF, 5MB)
- Exhibited Planning Scheme Maps(ZIP, 4MB)
- Carisbrook Flood and Drainage Plan 2013(PDF, 20MB)
- Dunolly Flood Study 2014(PDF, 5MB)
- AECOM report to Carisbrook Flood Study, 2013(PDF, 67KB)
- Water Tech response to AECOM report, 2014(PDF, 313KB)
- Investigation and Design of Carisbrook Flood and Drainage Mitigation Treatments, Preliminary Design Entura 2015(PDF, 12MB)
- Investigation and Design of Carisbrook Flood and Drainage Mitigation Treatments, Preliminary Design Entura 2016(PDF, 21MB)
- Jacobs Review 2017(PDF, 2MB)
- Updated Hydrology and Hydraulic Report, AR&R 2016 and Water Technology 2019(PDF, 16MB)
- Tullaroop Creek Rural Mapping NCCMA 2019(PDF, 2MB)
- Witness Statement by Ben Tate from Water Technology(PDF, 2MB)
Due to COVID restrictions, accompanied site inspections will not occur. The panel will visit nominated sites as shown HERE(PDF, 737KB) before the Hearing.
Where are we up to?
The amendment was exhibited until Thursday 23 July. After Council meeting on the 25 August 2020, Council request the Minister for Planning to appoint an independent planning panel. The Directions Hearing was held online on the 27 October 2020 and the Panel Hearing was held online on the 23 November 2020.
Planning Panel Report
The report was made public on the 20 January 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
Council and the NCCMA have prepared a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)(PDF, 350KB) sheet about C031cgol, and two brochures for Carisbrook(PDF, 4MB) and Dunolly(PDF, 5MB).
It is likely most general questions will be answered in these documents.
For any further questions regarding the amendment please contact Council's customer service on (03) 5461 0610 or email email@example.com.
This amendment is still in the planning and preparation stage. At the Council meeting on the 15 September 2020 Council resolved to submit this amendment for the Minister for Planning for authorisation. More details about this amendment will be coming soon.
Any changes to the Central Goldfields Planning Scheme are implemented through a planning scheme amendment.
Most recent amendments
C032cgol Planning Policy Framework Translation (PPF) Amendment
This amendment was gazetted on 10 September 2020. All of the documents associated with this amendment are available HERE at Planning Scheme Amendments Online.
C027 Central Goldfields 6 July 2017 - Implement s48 Heritage Act 1995.
C025 Central Goldfields 13 March 2014 - The Amendment inserts Schedule 1 to Clause 44.06 Bushfire Management Overlay.
C023 Central Goldfields 28 June 2012 - Rezone California Gully Recreation Reserve to Residential 1 Zone plus EAO and approves use and development of the land for a place of assembly including worship centre and ancillary administrative centre and amends three zoning errors in the vicinity.
You can find more information on recent amendments to the Central Goldfields Planning Scheme at: