Business Permits

Business Permits

96% of all Australian businesses are small businesses (ABS 2018 

Before you start your small business, you may need to check whether you need permission from Council or other providers.  Some businesses require permits from the Council, such as planning permit, food registration, health registration or outdoor trading permits. 

Business Permits

There are several types of business permits – accommodation; health and personal care and food premises.  For more information visit Business Permits or call Environmental Health on 5461 0647.

If you are planning on operating a food, hairdressing, beauty treatment, electrolysis, ear and body piercing, colonic irrigation, tattooing or prescribed accommodation business you are required to be registered under either the Food Act 1984 of Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Planning Permits

If you are considering working from home, or moving your business from home into another area, or undertaking buildings and works, or business signage, you may need a planning permit.  For more information visit Statutory Planning or call statutory planning on 5461 1610.

Miscellaneous Permits

You may require other permits such as building permits, liquor licences, tobacco, meat or dairy produce registrations.  These are external to Council.  For more information contact Economic Development for support on 5461 1610 or visit our page on External Council Business Links.